Monday, September 22, 2014

Blog post #4


      Modern media is completely saturated with messages about gender and gender identity. A lot of the messages are similar, but some conflict with each other. The fact that so many of the messages about gender are similar could point to the fact that there is oligopoly in the media industry, and because of that a lot of the media conglomerates are interested in promoting similar messages (this includes messages about gender).



      Like our class textbook from Kidd says, I would agree that women shown in most modern media are often displayed as being very concerned about romantic matters, their appearance, and equally or more concerned about matters of the home then they are about their careers. Although the statistics show that the media still has a long way go with diversity in portrayal of women, it’s good to see more female characters in newer TV shows, movies, and even women displayed in things like music videos and advertisements being shown as strong, independent, and hard-working women who can have other aspirations in life other then just to fall in love and be dependent on their Prince Charming.



     I’m going to be very honest here- pop culture has definitely impacted my gender identity, and I can even think of a couple memories from my childhood of when I was aware that what I was seeing in the media was making me think “This character or this girl/woman is what I aspire to be like someday.” The first example would be the character of Lizzie McGuire from The Lizzie McGuire Movie. I had never seen many episodes of the TV series Lizzie McGuire while growing up (as our household didn’t get the Disney Channel), but my parents took me to see the movie in theatres when it came out (I was eight years old). I immediately fell in love with the character of Lizzie. A fun, bubbly yet slightly ditzy teenage girl (who although was not very popular with her peers) who had a fairytale type experience happen when she traveled across the world. And it wasn’t the traditional prince/princess type fairytale- it was a culturally relevant modern fairytale where she was discovered by an attractive teenage male pop star and invited to sing on stage with him at an international music awards show; and in the course of a few days she was transformed from a normal teenage girl into a glamorous celebrity. I literally remember thinking to myself after watching the movie that I when I was older someday I wanted to get discovered by a famous international male pop star just like Lizzie did, and be transformed into a fancy celebrity. I’m sure that tons of other little girls who watched the movie also had the same wish, but with me I remember thinking to myself at eight years old literally making that a goal for myself. (Update: clearly I have failed myself as I am now 20 so my teen years are over and I never made it to international pop star status. ;-) ) 



      Another example from my childhood would be the movie Ironman. I feel as though this example relates a bit to the readings because both the Kidd book and the Leavy Trier-Bieniek text discuss the way that gender plays into the American film industry, both in the types of characters in movies and the key players behind the movies (such as who is directing and writing the films). Anyways, I saw the movie Ironman with my parents in the theatres when I was thirteen. I was not as enthusiastic for this film as I had been for The Lizzie McGuire Movie, as action films aren’t a favorite genre of mine. But my parents wanted to go, and at that age I didn’t really have much say in the matter so I went with them. I remember I liked the movie more then I thought I would, but the female character of Pepper Potts captured my attention. I have only seen the movie once so I don’t remember the exact details of the scene, but I know that near the end of the film Pepper helps to save Tony Stark’s life with her quick thinking and she jumps right to action. She does all of this while being impeccably dressed and wearing a pair of very high stilettos. I remember thinking to myself during the film “I want to be the type of woman someday who could save the world while wearing stilettos.” I remember telling that aspiration to my parents in the car on the way home, and my mom especially was thoroughly disappointed with that. She made some sort of comment about how I was buying into exactly pop culture wanted me to buy into, and how I was too influential. At the time I didn’t see anything wrong with that type of aspiration. Fashion was (and still is) a huge passion of mine, so what could be wrong with wanting to look good while working hard? Of course at age thirteen I wouldn’t have considered the fact that Ironman was a movie that was directed, produced, and edited by a solely male team, and that they probably wanted to make the character of Pepper Potts as sexualized and feminine as they could get away with for sex appeal to help sell the movie.



      It is interesting to me that these two memories of going to the movies with my parents and aspiring to be like two female movie characters have stuck with me. I can seriously remember each one as though it happened yesterday. I think that definitely means that each of these female characters really made an impact on me at a young age. 



My favorite scene from the Lizzie McGuire Movie


Pepper Potts in the first Ironman movie (I think this is her outfit from that made such an impression on me)


     -Annaliese

No comments:

Post a Comment