Saturday, September 13, 2014

Blog post #3

     First off, can I start by saying "how have we already been in school for three+ weeks?!" Is it just me, or is this semester already starting to go by in quite a blur?

     From the start, this class has been more challenging then I expected it to be. I'm not saying that I  expected Comm 348 to be a super easy GPA boosting class that I wouldn't get much out of... but since I want to work in broadcasting after college and pop culture is directly related to broadcasting and the entertainment field, I thought that it probably wouldn't be my most difficult class and might be something lighter in a semester of other tough classes that I already had lined up. Well, I was wrong! I think that after my 300-level French class (for my French minor), this is probably my second most challenging class that I am in this semester at Queens. It would probably tie or beat French for difficulty if not for, you know, the fact that French is taught in French.

      My thoughts so far are quite simply that I am going to get a lot out of this class! I think that we have a really diverse group of people in this class and that adds so much to our discussions and just to the overall culture of the class, and that makes me really happy. Yes, we are all communications majors or minors, but we all have very different interests and goals within the field of communications (and very different interests and goals within our personal lives!). The fact that this is a discussion based class is perfect for the diversity of the class. This class will also be great for staying current with pop culture and hopefully for learning about some aspects of pop culture that I wasn't as familiar with before! As someone who wants to work in mainstream radio after college it will be really beneficial for me to create a habit of staying current with many forms of pop culture (not just what interests me personally).

      I think that analysis is a skill that I will be able to develop better after completing this class. Already in just the first few weeks I feel like I have gotten some really good pratice in "diving deeper" into various texts and other materials. But at the same time, this will also be my biggest challenge. I am a very literal person and sometimes seeing beyond the black and white is hard for me. Already in some class discussions about certain materials after sharing my own views and hearing my classmates' thoughts on something I will think to myself "That was such a good thought!" or "That was so deep! I need to start thinking more about all aspects of the issue like that person did."  etc etc etc.

      I have a couple steps to overcome my challenge of struggling with deeper analysis. One would be to really continue to take the time to put a lot of thought into my responses on these blog posts. I agree with what the syllabus says about how these blog posts are great practice for the essays on the midterm and final exam, and I also think they're a great way to prepare for quizzes and to really let the material that was learned in class in the past week sink it. Another step would be to not be afraid to ask for help when I need it! I definitely think that I will be checking out the Writing Center later in the semester (probably for my other classes as well- I have a term paper that will be due in another communications class). Getting a second opinion on my writings could be very beneficial, especially writings that might require deeper analysis on terms or concepts that might not be as familiar to me. I also plan to ask Dr. C for help if needed throughout the semester- I have never been afraid to ask professors for help. :-)

     One other thing that I have been doing in the past couple weeks is using college hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays to review the homework material for this class and one of my other T/Th afternoon classes. So far that has really helped me a lot to be prepared for my classes! I have a busy schedule this semester and if I do my homework over the weekend sometimes it's hard to remember all of the details of the readings for example by the time that class comes around.


     I am looking forward to both the lip sync competition (I am a huge 90s pop fan and already thinking about song options....) and the presentations about pop culture from other countries! I am planning to try and interview my friend Liane for my presentation. Last year I was a transfer student to Queens from nearby Gardner-Webb University. My friend Liane was my French teaching assistant during my year at GWU. She is from Paris, and actually just last month moved back to North Carolina to pursue her masters' degree at UNCC! I am so excited to have her back in the States again, and she is the first person I thought of for this project!


Liane and I during my year at GWU. 


     -Annaliese

No comments:

Post a Comment